School Abuse & Violence
Protecting the Children of West Virginia
Few things tear at our hearts more than the injury, abuse, or death of a child. Look into the eyes of those who have lost a child through any tragic occurrence and you will know, beyond all doubt, that they have lost something precious. Too often, families and communities suffer from child abuse in schools. If your child is a victim of sexual abuse, injuries due to negligent supervision, school campus accidents, or any other type of violence, turn to Troy Law Firm, PLLC for help from a Charleston injury lawyer.
Holding Schools Responsible for Student Injuries
Any preventable child injury is a tragedy. As a Charleston school injury attorney, I have more than 20 years of experience handling abuse, neglect, and personal injury cases for families and individuals. We will fight tenaciously to help ensure that your child receives both justice and the maximum benefit of any recovery against the wrongdoer.
School Injury Liability & Causes
School violence and abuse are not as rare as they should be, unfortunately. School should be a safe place for children of all ages, but danger can still lurk in classrooms and across school campuses. There are a number of situations that can lead to abuse and violence on school campuses. This is unacceptable, which is why we are dedicated to protecting the young victims of school ground violence and abuse.
School violence and abuse can result from:
- Lack of supervision: As parents, we rely on teachers and school staff to provide adequate supervision of the children in their care. If children aren’t properly supervised, dangerous situations can occur which may lead to injuries or violence. Often, teachers spend the most time with their students, and can be the first to notice the signs of a dangerous student. If teachers neglect to take appropriate action, other students can be hurt.
- Teacher abuse: Teachers are trusted to instill knowledge and wisdom in our children, but when they perpetrate violence or sexual abuse toward your child, the scars can last for a lifetime. If your child is the victim of sexual abuse or violence, I will fight to hold the teacher responsible for their actions and ensure that your child receives justice.
- School Bus Driver & Crossing Guard Negligence: Bus drivers and crossing guards are among the many school employees we trust to watch our children and keep them safe. Negligence on the part of these adults can leave your child critically injured. My Charleston school injury legal team can help you hold responsible parties accountable.
- Sexual Abuse and Assault: Predators can make their way into your child’s school as an employee, or even can be a fellow student. It is the responsibility of the school officials to carefully screen employees for their suitability to work around children. It is the responsibility of the school staff to maintain adequate supervision and to respond appropriately to any claims of sexual assault or abuse. Failure to protect children can result in liability for any sexual abuse that occurs. I can help your family understand your legal options and help you pursue justice to the fullest extent. Often, sexual assault or abuse can be addressed with not only a criminal trial, but also can be the cause of a civil court case on top of the criminal proceedings.
- School District Negligence: Your child’s school district leadership is responsible for nearly every aspect of your child’s school, including their teachers and school staff, maintaining campuses and equipment, providing secure campuses, and preparing for emergencies. If your child is injured at school in an accident or event that could have been prevented by the school district, they may be able to be held liable for your child’s injuries.
If your child has been injured in a school-related event, violent act, or accident, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team. We can explain your legal options, help you choose the best path for your case, and fight tirelessly to ensure that your family receives the justice.
Get Help Today & Ensure a Secure Future for Your Child
In the most serious cases, the effects of a child's injuries can last for years or even a lifetime. No matter how severe your child’s injuries, they deserve to see justice. I will work closely with parents, physicians, and other health care specialists to plan for your child's future medical treatment and life care needs. If appropriate, I will collaborate with skilled financial consultants who can advise on the best investment options to maintain your child's recovery.
The Troy Law Firm, PLLC serves counties in West Virginia, as well as certain counties in Kentucky that border West Virginia, including Greenup, Boyd, Carter, Elliott, Lawrence, Johnson, Martin, Floyd, and Pike.
Schedule a free consultation to discuss your school litigation case. Call (304) 924-2209 or contact me online.