Charleston School Abuse & Violence Attorney
Seeking Justice for Your Children
Few things tear at our hearts more than the injury, abuse, or death of a child. Look into the eyes of those who have lost a child through any tragic occurrence and you will know, beyond all doubt, that they have lost a piece of themselves that can never be replaced.
Too often, families and communities suffer from child abuse in schools.If your child is a victim of sexual abuse, injuries due to negligent supervision, school campus accidents, or other types of violence, turn to Troy Law Firm PLLC for help from a Charleston personal injury lawyer.
Call us at (304) 315-2299 to discuss your case for free. We welcome clients from Charleston and Huntington, West Virginia, as well as Ashland and Prestonsburg, Kentucky.
Holding Schools Responsible for Student Injuries
Any preventable injury sustained by a child is a tragedy. As a Charleston school injury attorney, Mark Troy has over 25 years of experience handling abuse, neglect, and personal injury cases for families and individuals. We can fight tenaciously to help ensure that your child receives justice and the maximum benefit of any recovery against the wrongdoer.
School Injury Liability & Causes
School violence and abuse are not as rare as they should be, unfortunately. School should be a safe place for children of all ages, but danger can still lurk in classrooms and across school campuses. There are several situations that can lead to abuse and violence on school campuses. This is unacceptable – and that is why we are dedicated to protecting the young victims of violence and abuse.
School violence and abuse can result from:
- Lack of supervision: As parents, we rely on teachers and school staff to provide adequate supervision of the children in their care. If children are not properly supervised, dangerous situations can lead to injuries or violence.
- Teacher abuse: Teachers are trusted to instill knowledge and wisdom in our children, but when they perpetrate violence or sexual abuse toward your child, the scars can last for a lifetime. If your child is the victim of sexual abuse or violence, Mark Troy can fight to hold the teacher responsible for their actions and ensure that your child receives justice.
- School bus driver and crossing guard negligence: Bus drivers and crossing guards are among the many school employees we trust to watch our children and keep them safe. Negligence on the part of these adults can leave your child critically injured. Our Charleston school injury lawyer can help you hold responsible parties accountable.
- Sexual abuse and assault: Predators can make their way into your child’s school as an employee or as a fellow student. It is the responsibility of the school officials to carefully screen employees for their suitability to work around children. It is the school staff’s responsibility to maintain adequate supervision and to respond appropriately to any claims of sexual assault or abuse. Failure to protect children can result in liability for any sexual abuse that occurs. Mark Troy can help you pursue justice to the fullest extent. Often, sexual assault or abuse can be addressed with both a criminal trial and a civil court case.
- School district negligence: Your child’s school district leadership is responsible for nearly every aspect of your child’s school, including their teachers and school staff, maintaining campuses and equipment, providing secure campuses, and preparing for emergencies. If your child is injured at school in an accident or event that could have been prevented by the school district, they may be held liable for your child’s injuries.
If your child has been injured in a school-related event, violent act, or accident, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team. We can explain your legal options, help you choose the best path for your case, and fight tirelessly to ensure that your family receives justice.
Sexual Abuse in Schools
Your child deserves to feel safe and sound whenever he or she is at school. When this crucial element of a child’s well-being and education is violated by incidents of sexual abuse, justice must be pursued to set things right and restore your child’s psychological well-being.
If your child has been sexually abused while at school, do not hesitate to contact Troy Law Firm for legal assistance and representation. For over 25 years, Attorney Mark Troy has been practicing law with a focus on abuse and injury claims and has since built a strong reputation for being a defender of the wrongfully harmed. When you retain our firm, you can be confident that Mr. Troy will never back down when there is so much at stake. He has helped clients ranging from elementary school age to university students.
Identifying Accountable Parties in Your Case
When sexual abuse is carried out on young students, it is not always clear who is truly liable for the damage. Mr. Troy’s skills and insight allow him to identify the accountable parties and help you understand the compensation to which you and/or your child is entitled.
Parties that can be held accountable for sexual abuse on school grounds may include:
- Students: When sexual abuse is carried out by one student against another, faculty, administrators, and others in charge of the care and supervision of the students may still be liable. Examples of this type of misconduct include everything from inappropriate groping to intercourse.
- Teachers and administrators: Malicious sexual acts carried out in the schools by teachers, administrators, and other school board employees may place liability on both the employee engaged in the misconduct and the school board responsible for the care and well-being of the student. This may be the case even if the sexual misconduct did not take place on school property, depending on the circumstances of the case.
Compensation for schoolyard sexual abuse needs to take into consideration any bills that could have accrued due to medical or psychological treatment and evaluations necessary for the care of your child. It must also include compensation for the emotional trauma your child endured due to the abuse. Mark Troy can aggressively pursue the maximum compensation available to your child, taking into account the very specific psychological and emotional damages that result from this type of deplorable misconduct.
Get Help Today & Ensure a Secure Future for Your Child
In the most serious cases, the effects of a child's injuries can last for years or even a lifetime. No matter how severe your child’s injuries, they deserve to see justice.
Our Charleston school violence and abuse attorney can work closely with you, physicians, and other health care specialists to plan for your child's future medical treatment and life care needs. If appropriate, he will collaborate with skilled financial consultants who can advise on the best investment options to maintain your child's recovery.
Learn more about how Troy Law Firm can help you. Contact us at (304) 315-2299 to discuss your case for free.
Striving for fair and just outcomes for any individual needing help.- Gary
Mark kept me informed regarding my cases from beginning to end and was responsive to my questions and needs.- Linda
He was able to aggressively demonstrate liability against the other party.- Anonymous
Aggressive, Caring Representation
You will work directly with an attorney who is passionate about helping victims of injury to recover.
Customized Legal Approach for Each Client
Attorney Mark Troy is a fierce litigator who combines legal skill with respect and understanding of each client.
Over 25 Years of Experience
The firm boasts over 25 years of legal experience & access to outstanding experts across various fields.
Former Defense Attorney Experience
As a former insurance defense attorney, Mark Troy possesses valuable insight into their tactics.
Small Firm With Big Attention
The firm's size and overhead provides Attorney Mark Troy with the flexibility to take on cases that others don't.
An Attorney Directly Handles Your Case
You will not be treated like a case file that is passed from staff to staff. An attorney will handle your case directly.