Back to Top

What to Do if Your Car Accident Injuries Worsen Over Time

The results of a car accident claim depend, partially, on the type and severity of your injuries. The benefits you can receive by filing a claim are intended to compensate you for the expenses that resulted from a car accident, and will account for the cost of medical treatment, rehabilitation, and other peripheral costs.

To determine a benefit amount that will sufficiently cover you for your expenses, you must submit your medical records and bills. Once your case is resolved, you will receive your benefits either in a lump sum or in periodic installments that end once you recover.

However, it is possible for an injury to worsen over time. Is it possible to receive additional compensation for an injury that has progressed after your case is closed, or will you have to pay for the added expenses on your own?

There are different types of delayed injuries that can result from a car accident: New injuries that do not appear initially, and known injuries that worsen later on.

After a car accident, you may feel fine and base your decision not to file a claim on your apparent lack of injuries. This can be detrimental if you decide to eventually pursue a case, because you will have no records that the injuries were caused by the accident. These kind of latent injuries are why it is important to see a doctor after every collision — if you do not seek medical attention after an accident and injuries appear later, you may not be able to recover compensation for those injuries.

Injuries that are addressed after a collision, and are included in your claim, may progress. These injuries may be more qualified for the reception of additional benefits because they are reported initially. Depending on the terms of your case, you may not be able to reopen the claim. If not, it is possible that a separate claim can be pursued to recover damages.

Car accident claims can be complicated. For knowledgeable legal advice and strong representation to guide you through your claim, contact Troy Law Firm PLLC. Our attorney is available to discuss the details of your case for free.

Schedule a free consultation with us through our contact form or via phone at (304) 345-1122.