Back to Top

What to Do After a Car Accident with an Uninsured Driver in WV

In West Virginia, all automobile owners must carry auto insurance coverage on each vehicle they own. However, many motorists in the state continue to drive with no insurance.

What happens if you’re involved in a car accident with an uninsured motorist? In most cases, you will turn to your own insurance to recover damages such as medical costs, property damage, and lost wages.

All drivers have the option to obtain uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. So, if you’re involved in a collision with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, your insurer will pay for your damages. The minimum amount of coverage West Virginia residents must carry are $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage.

But if you don’t have UM coverage or the accident costs reach your policy limits, you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver to recover your damages. The court can order the negligent driver to make payment arrangements or pays your judgment entirely. Keep in mind, if a driver doesn’t have enough auto insurance, it is most likely he/she doesn’t have enough assets to make the proper payments.

To be safe, you must obtain UM coverage. But even if you are seeking compensation from your own insurer, receiving the full compensation can be difficult. Insurance companies make money off your premiums and will do whatever it takes to protect their bottom line by denying your claim or reducing your settlement.

If you have been injured in a car accident caused by an uninsured motorist, you need to hire a personal injury lawyer to protect your rights and best interests and maximize your entitled award. At Troy Law Firm PLLC, we are committed to helping you make the best possible recovery from injury, whether we obtain your financial compensation through your insurance company or the at-fault party.

For more information, contact us and schedule a free consultation today.